Rectors of the BF host Universities have appointed Professor emeritus Olli...
BF Annual Report 2013 has now been published. The report summarizes the activities of the...
Coordinator of the Network
Timo Otonkoski / tel: +358 9 191 25692 /
timo.otonkoski (at) helsinki.fi
Biomedicum Stem Cell Center, Biocentrum Helsinki
University of Helsinki
Stem cell research is one of the most rapidly developing areas of biomedicine. Recent stem cell technologies have opened up several novel avenues for biomedical research, such as developing disease models, drug development, tissue regeneration and development of functional organoids.
In this BF network efforts are directed to obtain knowledge and protocols to generate stem cells from different sources. The network aims also at development of adult stem cell-based tissue engineered biomaterial implants and organoids. A special emphasis is put to develop techniques to generate and use the so called induced pluripotent cells (iPS) from committed permanently differentiated cells. The discovery that somatic cells can be reprogrammed into pluripotency via only three developmental control genes has opened new horizons for stem cells in e.g. derivation of patient specific cellular models for basic and applied research. Propagation of pluripotent cells from patients permit for the first time detailed studies on the molecular biology of human disease mechanisms and the use of such cells for development of novel therapeutics. In the long term for the iPS cells should provide a unique way to develop technologies for obtaining immunologically tolerated cells for cell and tissue transplantation.
The main challenges of the network are: 1) how to channel and validate stem cells to specific cell lineages and functional cell types, 2) how to use these in tissue engineering and regeneration, and 3) how to use these as models for drug screening and organoid development.
BF network offers a large range of human embryonic (hESCs) and induced pluripotent stem cell (iPS cells) lines with a complete service package including protocols for the stem cell maintenance and expansion, characterization data documentation and highly qualified technical support. BF network can assist with the selection of the appropriate stem cell line for your specific research needs.
Biocentrum Helsinki, Biomedicum Stem Cell Center, Timo Otonkoski
University of Tampere, BMT & Regea, Katriina Aalto-Setälä, Kristiina Rajala, Heli Skottman
Biocenter Kuopio, Stem Cell Center, Mikko Lammi
BF network offers custom iPS cell line production service. Currently the methods for iPS cell generation are based on retro-or lentiviral transduction, but non-viral methods are under development. Genetically modified iPS cell lines can be developed according to customer’s needs.
BF network can provide the establishment of high-quality GMP-compatible hESC and iPS cell lines. These cell lines will be produced by trained staff in clean room facility using high-quality materials and reagents.
Contact details: University of Tampere BMT & Regea, Kristiina Rajala, Heli Skottman
BF network provides extensive range of characterization options for stem cells including: phenotype, genotype, growth and differentiation characteristics.
BF network provides protocols and protocol development for differentiation of stem cells/iPS cells into different lineages. Supply of other differentiated cell types can be negotiated.
- Hepatic, pancreatic, neural. Contact details: Biocentrum Helsinki, Biomedicum Stem Cell Center, Timo Otonkoski
- Cardiomyocytes, retinal, neural. Contact details: University of Tampere BMT & Regea, Kristiina Rajala
- Mesodermal, neural. Contact details: Biocenter Kuopio, Stem Cell Center, Mikko Lammi
BF network offers biomaterials, nanoparticles and matrix components. End-points and differentiation assays are developed with customer.
Contact details: Faculty of Pharmacy and Institute of Biotechnology Facility, Marjo Yliperttula
BF network offers plasmids in HT system for optimal gene transfection or silencing (miRNA, siRNA) expertise and facility. Contact details: Faculty of Pharmacy and Institute of Biotechnology Facility, Marjo Yliperttula
BF network offers a range of functional characterization assays.
- Cellular electrophysiology: membrane ion channels, membrane functions, single cell responses. Contact details: University of Tampere, BMT & Regea, Katriina Aalto-Setälä, Kim Larsson. Biocenter Kuopio, Stem Cell Center, Mikko Lammi
- Cell culture arrays and multi-well plates with biomaterials. Plates and spotted arrays with sets of biomaterials and bioactive compounds for stem cell differentiation experiments. Contact details: Faculty of Pharmacy and Institute of Biotechnology Facility, Marjo Yliperttula
- Chondrogenic and osteogenic differentiation: qRT-PCR, ECM analysis, immunocytochemistry. Contact details: Biocenter Kuopio, Stem Cell Center, Mikko Lammi
BF network offers hands on laboratory-based training in fundamental aspects of pluripotent stem cell culture and analysis.
- Training packages tailored for the client’s needs in stem cell culture and iPS cell derivation. Contact details: Biocentrum Helsinki, Biomedicum Stem Cell Center, Timo Otonkoski
- Custom made programs on GMP/GLP cell production. Contact details: University of Tampere, BMT & Regea, Kristiina Rajala
- Training on biomaterial cell culture arrays and non-viral transfection with biomaterials. Contact details: Faculty of Pharmacy and Institute of Biotechnology Facility, Marjo Yliperttula